Sunday, October 21, 2012

CELTA - Assignment 4

  Going into CELTA, I expected a rigid intensive course that had no room for imagination or emotion. Fortunately, I'm a bad fortune teller; I found a course that values student-centeredness, building rapport with students, compassion and creativity. I found joyful trainers who gave constructive feedback and encouraged me in every step of the way. More important, I found myself. Now I know what I'll do for the rest of my life. Years from now, as I listen to an emotional orchestra, my eyes will water as I remember this - my first step toward being a great teacher.

 As a teacher, I have a few areas of strength. First, I monitor students effectively to support them as they work on tasks. In my fifth TP (teaching practice), after having set up a speaking task, the students were able to do the activity well, as I re-modeled the task and gave assistance, encouragement and praise. Second, I convey meaning efficiently. In my fifth TP, I used TPR (Total Physical Response) to convey the meaning of the words 'near' and 'opposite'; in my sixth TP, I used visuals to convey the meaning of words related to houses and pubs. In both TPs, as I checked meaning, I found that students had completely understood. Third, I drill words effectively. In my sixth TP, in the free oral practice, the students used words that I had drilled earlier, with improved pronunciation.

 I’m not a great teacher but I intend to be one. There are many areas in which I’d like to develop. First, I need to use the whiteboard more effectively. In my sixth TP, a few students couldn’t recognize some of the words on the board; one student even copied ‘agent’ as ‘sgent’. Second, I need to exploit context more efficiently by having an OHT or bigger pictures of the characters/scene. In my fifth and sixth TP, I was too verbal so students were not really engaged; proper visuals/OHT could’ve helped. Third, I talk in lessons more than I should. In my fourth TP, in the feedback of a listening task, it was mostly teacher talk with little elicitation; I tend to increase my teacher profile when students don’t respond immediately.

 In the teaching of my colleagues, I was impressed by a few things. In the first TP, Muhammad had the cleanest, most organized board that I had seen. This helped the students understand, and no one had trouble copying language from the board. His board work is something to emulate. In the fourth TP, I was impressed by Asmaa’s composure and professional manner. Her voice was clear, loud and her language was graded to suit the elementary learners. The lesson was clearly staged and the transitions were smooth. In the sixth TP, while drilling, Ramy encouraged the students by cheering, ‘I don’t think the people in the other class can hear you. Louder!’ after which the students repeated the words confidently, loudly. Encouragement motivates the students.

 I learned a lot from my observation of experienced teachers. In Helen’s lesson, she kept students engaged through competitive games and creating information gaps by having students read different parts of the same text. After the lesson, she explained that Egyptians tend to talk in Arabic when they’re divided in pairs – which is why she divided students into groups of three or more; if two spoke Arabic, the third would often bring them back. I also noticed that she grouped reserved Egyptian girls together because they wouldn’t talk as much if grouped with boys. All this goes to show excellent classroom and culture awareness, something I should have as I teach different classrooms around the world.

 In Darren’s lesson, he personalized Business English by discussing the Egyptian economy and recent events in Sinai. This shows that he purposefully picked a topic suitable for Egyptian students to make a more engaging lesson. I should also have my students at the forefront of my mind as I choose a topic. In Melissa’s lesson (DVD), she created a relaxing atmosphere by having students sit on the floor, take deep breaths and remember recent experiences. This made a very effective brainstorming session. She also re-paired students frequently to make more effective communication activities and to refresh their minds. I want to produce the same comfortable, engaging environment in my classroom.

 A teacher never stops learning. Beyond the course, I plan to read about education and different teaching methodologies, and to attend different ELT courses and seminars. The following table outlines my top three priorities for future development:

Area to work on:
Action plan:
Decreasing teacher talk
1. Be more patient in elicitation.
2. Observe more experienced teachers and how they maximize STT.
3. Read ‘
Talk less. Teach more!' by Pearl Nitsche.
Using the whiteboard more effectively
1. Use more visuals and an OHT where appropriate to reduce the amount I need to write on the board.
2. Read ‘Using The Board in the Language Classroom’ by Jeannine Dobb.
3. Find an empty classroom and practise, preferably with a colleague.
Improving body language in the classroom
1. Record videos of a few of my lessons and watch them to be more aware of my body language.
2. Read
'The Classroom X-Factor: The Power of Body Language and Non-verbal Communication in Teaching' by John White and John Gardner

11 comments:

  1. I am plannig to do CELTA and whoever i asked she/he would say "OMG, be prepared for your worst nightmare !!". But after reading your post i am prepared to face my worst nightmare.

    Than you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. As long as you stay organized, manage your time well and have a positive mindset, you'll be fine. Try to enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam

    I'm doing my CELTA currently - I have 1 TP left and the last assignment! Reading yours has certainly helped! Thank you!

    The advise I would give to anyone wanting to do the CELTA is be organised throughout, do a bit of reading on teaching methodologies etc and have thick skin (prepare yourself for positive and negative feedback) I've noticed some colleagues become a bit irritated when they are told how to improve and where they went wrong, all I would say is the negative feedback from tutors/peers is invaluable! That is what shapes you to become a better teacher In'sh'Allah!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salam
    I am doing my CELTA I have 2 TP's left ,I must say I am really enjoying this coures even though it's the hardest thing I ever done .
    I loved your words I felt as if they were mine ...
    Wish me luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visit my blog http://celtaqa.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my last TP this Tuesday and i must say doing CELTA has most definitely opened my eyes in more ways than just teaching. Please for those of you who wish to do CELTA don't be scared, the scare stories aren't there. the only thing i will tell you is be organised like you,ve never been and do a bit of reading especially about stages and stage aims.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Im very jealous. I have one TP left and feel less confident than ever despite passing everything. We have two tutors, one of which doesn't seem to know what is going on or what is expected and the other knows her stuff but does not seem to be human in terms of sensitivity and understanding! Saying that they have just been flown in for this month as the permanent CELTA tutors left but still.... Guess I was just unlucky! 4 days to goooo! (saying all this, the course itself, though mental and intensive, is helpful!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pursuing my CELTA.It'll get over on 20th March 2015. I 've learnt that procrastination has no place in the course. Your tutor can make or mar your experience. You've to understand your tutor as well.For me, first 2 weeks were like searching something in the dark. But thank god 3rd week onwards my assistant tutor made my learning experience more solid.Yes if you can learn the stages and stage aims and most importantly can make an informative lesson plan,you'd atleast get'To Standard' though your TP(teaching practice ) may not be great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am doing my CELTA at Chennai, India. Your article has really helped me to understand things....

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi AMR. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS. IM DOING MY CELTA AND I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS. WOULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL.
    SARAH

    ReplyDelete